firstname.lastname@example.org 425-830 8323
Barry W. Scharf mfa
Traditional Painting, Sculpture and Digital Photo Artist,
Summery of accomplishments
. Barry Scharf's sculptures were selected for inclusion in the 2006 and 2016 International Invitational Sculpture Bellevue Biennials.
. In 2015 his photography was included as part of the International Exposure Awards shown in NYC and at the Louvre Museum in Paris.
· Scharf is a master painter, sculptor and digital photographer with a history of creating award-winning art with exhibition experience from the late 60’s to present. Also He was a semifinalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards for both 2011 and 12 in “Innovation in Traditional Media”.
· In 2008, his photography won first place in the Full Circle International Photography Competition from the UK. Barry has over 24 one person and group shows at galleries and museums. His work was part of the prestigious 1994 Northwest Artists Exhibition at the Seattle Convention Center. In 1998, by invitation of the Mayor, his artworks where placed on exhibition for one year, at the Kirkland City Hall Gallery.
· Barry is a Guru Award finalist winner in artistic category of “Photoshop Digital Art” at three conferences (2001-03-05) hosted by the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. In 2007-08, he was part of the Adobe team that helped develop and beta test Photoshop CS4. He has also been working with and teaching digital and traditional art for over 16 years. He was instructor of advanced digital theory, 2D design, digital painting, comic digital art and digital photo manipulation during his tenure at the Art Institute of Seattle, 1996-2012. He was senior lecturer at SIGGRAPH 07, San Diego, and designed and facilitated classes for digital photography students on a teaching tour of Italy.
· Selected by the King Arts Commission in as sustaining support evaluator to review the local Museums of Art, art centers and other funded cultural projects. He reported to the commission on implementation of funds with recommendations for grant continuance.
· Before living in the Northwest, he lived and worked in Los Angeles (1975-1993) there he developed a reputation for leading edge paintings and sculptures. A highly focused artist, he was enmeshed in the L.A. scene and successful in his fine art career. His work won awards and was collected, reviewed by museums, and art critics. He had developed a reputation for abstract city themes and was known as a front-runner for his use of drop-shadow in abstraction. He was a founding director of Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions (LACE), a C.E.T.A. project that used artists for community renewal. The project was acclaim as a significant influence in the revitalization of L.A.s’ inner city. It created low-rent studios that drew artists and architects into unoccupied buildings. Over the years, LACE has become one of the most successful art projects in L. A. history.
· Barry’s paintings and sculptures have been on Commercial TV and in movies by Warner Brothers Studios and he was a freelance artist for CBS.
Relevant TEACHING EXPERIENCE at the Art Institute of Seattle 1996-2011
Digital Matte Painting (3rd year)
Digital Illustration I, II, III
Portfolio Design (web, animation and design) Portfolio Critique (Photography, Animation and Design)
2-D Design Design for Multi-Media Color and Composition Analysis of Form
Traditional Painting Sculpture Conceptual Drawing Art Installation
2001-03-05 Seminars of the NAPP Conferences (C.E.U.’s) post graduate
1975 Master of Fine Arts degree, Otis Art Institute, Los Angeles.
Hancock Park Art Scholarship for excellence in painting and sculpture.
1973 Bachelor of Fine Arts, East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
in Painting and Sculpture.
2012-Present Writer and contributor to Visual Language Magazine, Articles for and about the arts.
2006 Bellevue Sculpture Exhibition Catalogue, # 13, (TV interview)
2001 Photoshopuser Magazine, Guru Award winners
1996 The Seattle Times, Technology section, digital art, Sunday March 10, 1996
1990 “Hot Air,” North Light Publishers, PG 168.
(An international publication of airbrush artists and illustrators)
1989 Artists Book, NYC, NY
California Art Review, CA American Ref., Chicago, ILL
Exhibition review, Los Angeles Times,
1988 “Expressive Drawing,” Joseph Mugnaini, Davis Publications, pp 185 & 212.
1979 The Freelance Art Monthly, August 1979 (Illustrations)
Selected Solo Exhibitions
2010 One man exhibition Portfolio Restaurant AIS
2006 Bellevue Sculpture exhibition, Bellevue WA
1999 Nelson Rovzar Gallery, Kirkland WA
1998 One man Show Kirkland City Hall, WA
The Greenpeace Gallery, Los Angeles
1990 The Brand Library Galleries, Glendale, CA
1989 La Nicola, Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles
1988 Ivey Gallery, La Brea Ave., Los Angeles
Holly Street Gallery, Pasadena, CA
Baker Gallery, Mission Viejo, CA
1987 Marble Works Gallery, Beverly Hills & North Hollywood, CA
DOR Gallery, Venice, CA
Aqua Blue Gallery, Los Angeles
1986 Trey Ligon Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA
“The Figure” Rhoda S. Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico
1977 Gallery +, Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles
Main Gallery, California State University, Los Angeles
1974 Devons Gallery, Hollywood, Florida
1969 Reflector Gallery, Greenville, N.C.
Selected Group exhibitions
2013 Ryan James Gallery, Bellevue, WA
1996-2011 Yearly group exhibits Burnley Gallery, Seattle, WA
1996 Kirkland City Hall Gallery, Kirkland, WA.
Nelson/Rovzar Gallery, Kirkland, WA
Waterworks Gallery, Friday Harbor, WA
1995 Artists’ Cooperative, Langley, Whidbey Island, WA
Alternative Visions, Moss Bay Gallery, Kirkland, WA
Flower & Garden Show, Seattle Convention Center, WA
1994-5 Waterworks Gallery San Juan Island, WA
Veteran USAF Vietnam Era